Moving Companies Manhattan KS

Moving Companies in Manhattan, KS. Find addresses and phone numbers of local business and services that provide access to Moving Companies in Manhattan, KS.

Wamego Self Storage
(785) 456-2749
900 Mission Avenue
Manhattan, KS
Maberry RFD Inc
(785) 539-0266
10260 Military Trail Road
Manhattan, KS
U-Haul CO - Independent Dealers- Manhattan
(785) 323-0307
917 North 3rd Street
Manhattan, KS
Safe Storage
(785) 776-8366
610 South Delaware Avenue
Manhattan, KS
Wildcat Property Management
(785) 537-2332
1431 Anderson Avenue
Manhattan, KS
Cats Inc
(785) 537-0727
2151 Fort Riley Boulevard
Manhattan, KS
Uhaul Co
(785) 323-1100
9770 Limerick Ln
Manhattan, KS
Sand Creek Self Storage LLC
(785) 539-5700
10245 Military Trail Road
Manhattan, KS
Mini Self Storage
(785) 776-5252
3515 Hofman Lane
Manhattan, KS
Uhaul Co Independent Dealers Manhattan
(785) 323-1100
9770 Limerick Ln
Manhattan, KS

Who Can Claim Moving Expenses with the IRS?

Not everyone who moves can deduct moving expenses when they file their income tax returns. Your move has to be work-related, meaning you changed job locations, started a new job, or moved to seek a new job and were successful in obtaining one.

There are exceptions for retirees and survivors who are moving back to the U.S. from oversees.

And there are (of course) conditions.

The IRS calls these conditions “tests.” The “time” test, the “distance" test and the “work-related” test.

The Work Related Test

Say you pick up all your stuff and move. It isn’t actually necessary that you already have a job in the new location. If your moving expenses occurred within one year of the date you first report on the job in the new location, your move is “work-related.”

So… what happens if you delay moving your family and household until 18 months after you start work because you want your son or daughter to finish high school at their old school?

Well, the IRS isn’t entirely heartless. They make exceptions if you have a good reason.

The Distance Test

Your new job location has to be at least 50 miles further from your home than your old job location.

For example, say you used to drive 15 miles to work from your previous home. That means you new job must be at least 65 miles away from where you used to live. Otherwise, you don’t meet the “distance” test.

This doesn’t mean that you have to move 50 miles. All it means is that your new job must be 50 miles further from your former home than your old job.

Click here to read more